whenever i feel like writing a poem
the first word that comes to my mind is
nobody reads poetry
but who can blame them?
i would read a newspaper
if i could understand it.
poem with eight arms
as goddess durga, i have one head and eight arms.
1. this line is an arm that exists because of your eyes,
2. this line is an arm that ends with the word 'prophecy',
3. this line is an arm that has about twelve and a half words,
4. this line is an arm that doesn't tell you much about me,
5. this line is an arm that talks about blood and pain,
6. this line is an arm that ends with the word 'morality',
7. this line is an arm that disappoints most people,
8. this line is an arm that disappears when you turn away.
and i have two tiny feet, one here and the other one very far away.
José Luís Peixoto is a Portuguese-born writer, and the author of a number of novels, two plays, and two books of poetry: A Criança em Ruínas/ Child in Ruins (2001) and A Casa, a Escuridão/The House, the Darkness (2002). His work has been anthologized on all five continents and translated into 11+ languages.